The MITRE ATT&CK (Adversarial Tactics, Techniques, and Common Knowledge) framework is a dynamic tool used by organizations to understand and mitigate cybersecurity threats. This framework provides a common language for threat intelligence, incident response, and security assessments. In other words, its primary goal is to facilitate a common language so that cybersecurity professionals can communicate more effectively about threats.
How is the MITRE ATT&CK framework divided?
It is divided into two main parts: the ATT&CK Matrix and the ATT&CK Navigator.
The ATT&CK Matrix is a list of tactics and techniques that attackers use to compromise an organization’s security, organized into high-level objectives (tactics) and specific methods (techniques) to achieve them.
On the other hand, the ATT&CK Navigator is an online tool that allows users to explore and filter this information interactively and add their own notes and labels. It is very useful for security teams looking to plan, defend, and detect potential attacks.
In turn, we can differentiate the following phases in the MITRE ATT&CK framework:
- Reconnaissance: In this phase, attackers seek information about the organization and its systems through social engineering techniques or public information search.
- Initial Access: In this phase, attackers look for ways to access the organization’s systems, either through software vulnerabilities or weak passwords.
- Expansion: Once attackers have gained access to a system, they will attempt to move on to other systems and networks within the organization.
- Exploitation: In this phase, attackers attempt to exploit various vulnerabilities in software or system configurations to gain access to confidential information or take control of systems.
- Persistence: Once attackers have gained access and control over the organization’s systems, they try to maintain this access for an extended period.
- Command and Control: Attackers establish a communication channel with their remote control systems to maintain control over the organization’s systems.
- Lateral Movement: In this phase, attackers move from one system to another within the organization to gather more information and extend their control.
- Exfiltration: Attackers attempt to extract confidential information from the organization’s systems and send it to external servers under their control.
What are the benefits of using the MITRE ATT&CK Framework?
- Identifying possible security weaknesses in different areas of the organization.
- Improving the ability to detect and respond to potential attacks.
- Assisting in decision-making about which security controls to implement.
- Facilitating communication and collaboration among different security teams within the organization.
The MITRE ATT&CK framework is also used in:
- Threat Intelligence: Providing a comprehensive list of tactics and techniques used by threat actors, making it an essential tool for organizations’ threat intelligence analysts and teams.
- Incident Response: The framework provides a structured approach to incident response by categorizing attack techniques into distinct phases.
- Security Assessments: The framework can be used to assess an organization’s security by mapping the organization’s defenses to the various tactics and techniques used by attackers.
- Developing a Defense Strategy: Once the TTPs used by attackers have been identified, the organization can develop an effective defense strategy.
- Improving Incident Response Capability: By identifying different attack phases and techniques used, response teams can take measures to contain the attack and minimize its impact on the organization.
- Staying Up-to-Date: MITRE ATT&CK is constantly updated with the latest cybersecurity threat information. By staying informed about the latest threats and TTPs used by attackers, organizations can be better prepared to protect against future attacks.
In conclusion, the MITRE ATT&CK framework is a valuable tool for any organization looking to enhance its cybersecurity and defend against constantly evolving threats.
Combined with our GlobalSuite® Security software, it allows monitoring system and application performance and availability, detecting and preventing threats in real-time to avoid unplanned disruptions, and responding quickly to security incidents.
Organizations can implement a robust cybersecurity strategy that can identify, prevent, and respond to attacks more effectively to ensure the security of information and the protection of organizations’ systems and networks. Implementing this solution can help organizations be prepared to face future cybersecurity challenges.